Wealthy coal magnate Francis Stuyvesant Peabody created the Mayslake Estate in 1919, and the property was taken over by the Franciscan Order of Friars Minor in 1924. Currently, the preserve contains several historic buildings including Mayslake Hall and the Portiuncula Chapel; acres of lakes and ponds; a restored prairie; marsh; and a restored savanna. There are also beautiful flower and herb gardens surrounding the mansion and chapel.
Fishing at Mayslake can be a relaxing way to spend a morning or afternoon. The northern portion of the lake is open for public access, but the southern shores are private property. Please respect the rights of these property owners by keeping to the northern part of the lake. Watercraft are prohibited. All anglers 16 and older (except legally disabled persons) are required to have valid Illinois sport fishing licenses in their possession and must follow District and state regulations.
Off-Leash Dog Area
Dogs with Forest Preserve District off-leash dog area permits can enjoy Mayslake's fully fenced off-leash area, which features over four acres of mowed grass with a double gate system. The parking lot is located off St. Paschal's Drive. Call Visitor Services at (630) 933-7248 for permit applications and information. Rules for the area are posted at the preserve. Dogs must be leashed in all other areas of the preserve.
Picnic tables, water pumps and portable washrooms are available for visitors.
A one-mile multipurpose trail winds around the shore of the lake and leads to Portiuncula Chapel.